I don't know where to even start with all of this. I have so much information to think about and I need to try to take this all in. First off Our Evaluator was wonderful with Max today. Max really seemed to like her. There was no wasted time when she got here because they started watching him instantly. She brought lots of toys with her and wanted to see what Max would do with them. Some things he knew what to do with but others he played with incorrectly. She spent two hours with us to watch Max's behaviors.
The evaluator is not allowed to give us any kind of diagnoses but after about an hour she started explaining some things to me. First of all Max's Social and Motor skills are great. She was extremely pleased with this. She explained to me that most autistic children have very poor social skills and this was one of Max's strengths. So this was very good to hear. And again I sat there so confused. All that runs through my mind is-What is going on with my Son? I just want answers.
Max scored low enough on the Adaptive and Communication levels to have a therapist come in and work with him. I was not surprised by this. He has very little communication which is why we think he becomes so frustrated. The Adaptive is how well he can adapt to new things. What brought his score down so much was his eating habits. So Max has qualified for Occupational and Speech Therapy. An Occupational therapist will come in once a week for an hour to work with him and the same goes with the Speech.
As the Evaluator was talking to me she was telling me to google Sensory Diet to see what I came up with. I came across Sensory Processing Disorder. I read on in amazement. I couldn't believe what I was reading-almost everything on this list pertained to Max. So now I am even more confused as ever. Did she tell me to look this up after she left to give me some kind of hint? I had never heard of this before but honestly I had a light bulb moment- this is what Max has. I don't know for sure obviously I am no Doctor. Hopefully the neurologist can give us more information on all of this. I kept on reading. I wanted to see if Autism and SPD were related at all. This is what I found.-A huge percentage of kids with Autism also have SPD but one does not have to autism to have SPD and vice versa. They are each different and distinct diagnoses. I read about Mother's being so confused because they had never heard of SPD and once they heard about this they knew what was going on with their child.
I still don't have any definite answers and maybe no where close. But I do feel like I have more information to run with. All we can do now is wait for our Doctor apt. on July 9th and having the therapists come in and work with Max. I do know that I am going to have a ton of questions to ask the Doctor once we meet.
So I will continue to read on about my new findings and pray that the therapy does wonders for Max.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment