Friday, September 25, 2009

Happily Overwhelmed...

Over the months as I have read about autism I find that I learn something new everyday. The information I have gathered and have tried to wrap my mind around is amazing. When I posted that video of Carly a couple months ago I couldn't help but have such a different out look on things. Autistic children are not dumb they are in fact incredibly smart they just do things in a different manner than typical people. They know how to act but their bodies tell them differently. How awful that must feel. To feel that you have no control over your actions.As the days pass by I learn more and more about my Son. In my eyes he is smart and amazing. This evening we spent some time at my grandparents house. She had purchased a few puzzles for the kids for something to do while they are at their house. I mentioned before that Max loves all things to do with shapes. One of the puzzles had nine pieces that were different shapes(something like the one shown above). Max had never before done this puzzle. Once he saw it, he sat down, picked up every piece and knew exactly where each one went. This to me was incredible. Not only that but it had an age on it...it was for 3-7 year olds. Can you believe this! I was so proud of my Boy. He hasn't turned 2 yet and is doing a puzzle for up to 7 year olds. It is amazing to watch him so precisely put each piece into place. He looks at the piece he has in his hand and then looks at the puzzle. He then places the piece in his hand exactly as it should be then simply puts it in place. God love him he is so proud when he does something good and Max always watches your face when you praise him.

*********************************


A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a website that had special DVD's for autistic children. They are called Baby Bumble Bee videos. They are to promote speech in children with autism. I had read many good reviews on them and felt that this was something that we should try with Max. I had mentioned them to my Gram and she asked if she could purchase them for us. I am beyond grateful for the amount of support and love that my family shows us. This evening we purchased the DVD's and I am so so anxious for Max to watch them. I couldn't believe the cost of these things so I am hoping they do wonders. Thank you so much Gram and Pap. We Love You!

Max also had a fantastic week of therapy. Today we started to mix rice with his baby food and he loved it! How wonderful is that! We are still going strong with the gluten free diet and he will be on this for the rest of his life. It isn't easy to find things that are gluten free that Max will eat. So doing the rice was a huge step for us.


Such improvements...I am so happily overwhelmed that I am on the verge of tears.

1 comment:

Jon G said...

Amanda,

I'm so glad you have such a positive attitude about the journey you are on. And I hope you arefinding that you are not travelling alone.

~Jon