Sunday, September 6, 2009

What to Believe?

I've done a lot of research over the last couple months. I have found a lot of information about Autism-the causes, and things that don't cause it, things you can do to help your child from the GFCF diet to B-12 shots to Epsom salt baths to ABA therapy. Really I am overwhelmed. Where do you start? How do you know what to do? There has been quite a debate over the MMR shot leading to Autism. I have read where people swear that it is proven not to be linked and I have read where the shots are to blame. What to believe and what not? I'm not sure if I know. I can't make a decision on what I believe. What I do ask myself is why Autism is being so much more well known? Why is it that even 10 years ago you didn't hear that much about it and now 1 out of 150 children are diagnosed with this.


While I am trying to do everything I can to help Max I want to make sure it is safe for him. With Max not being two yet and having a diagnosis is a step in the right direction. I truly believe that his therapy is working. I have seen an improvement with starting the GFCF diet. He is more alert and his jibbering is becoming more often. I guess as his Mom I want to make sure that everything that I am doing can benefit him and not hurt him.


I have touched on this a little before but I do believe that the Lord knew that Max was going to have Autism. That he made Max like this for a purpose. Whether he can be recovered I guess we will have to wait and see. I guess because I am a Christian I just believe (and it doesn't mean that my opinion is right or wrong) that God intended Max to be the way he is. That it doesn't matter whether he was born with it or something caused it. I can't change that now. My Mom had always said from an early point with Max that something just wasn't right. This is when he was 4 to 5 months old. So yes maybe Max was born with it. But this doesn't matter now. What matters is that I am going to help my Son learn in a way that he is supposed to. That I am going to help him with the best of my ability. Now with that said this doesn't mean that I am not going to get him the attention he needs. We are going to try new things, things that I know can't hurt Max. If they work we will be more than excited but if not we will stop and move on to something else.


Please just pray for us that we are making the right decisions for our little boy.

2 comments:

Jon G said...

Amanda, no decision you make for your boy will be the wrong one. This is scary; no doubt. But you are doing everything you can...which in the end is the right thing.

Anything you need, please let me and others of us help you in any way we can. Do what works for your family. And we'll pray for all of you.

You can do this. the only wrong thing would be to give up.

BrandiKohan said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qklqdq_yCWk&NR=1

Hey Amanda,

Take a look at this you tube video. It talks about mb12 shots.

Brandi