Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hopeful...

We have been busy little Bee's around here lately! There are many new things taking place and we are hopeful that they will help our little Boy!

First things first. Max had his two year checkup today. We had so many questions for the Doctor so I took my Mom along for moral support! I can't tell you how thankful and blessed that I feel to have the family that I do. They are such a fantastic support system for us. God love Max he screamed through the whole appointment. Stat wise he is quite the healthy boy. It is amazing to me that he only eats baby food(although a lot of it) and he weighed 31 pounds! It simply amazes me and now I am pretty convinced that he has passed his Sister! Height wise he was right at 34". So we were all pretty pleased with these numbers.

The first question on our list(or more like request) was to skip the shot that Max was to have today. People may judge and that is ok. This is my decision and until you have a child with Autism then you can give your opinion. For lack of better words as a Mom you feel like your Damned if you do and Damned if you don't. Max has made tremendous progress these last couple months. What if I were to give him that shot and then all of it went away? It is a heart wrenching decision but you do what feels right at the time...and today that was our decision.

I can feel at rest a little bit because now Max is not due for any shots until four years old. Oh yeah and I also wanted to let you all in on some research that I found! Do you know that in 1983 a child was given 10 shots...Now we give our children 36! I am not saying that Max will never have another shot but what I do know is now we have time to pump him full of probiotics and vitamins. We start these tomorrow and I am beyond excited to see how they work. We are very hopeful!

We also visited with a new organization to get him more therapy. Max will have anywhere from 5 to 10 hours with his new therapists. I am excited to get this started and to see what new plan we can come up with for our Boy.

Tonight I feel hopeful and blessed...

2 comments:

Jon G said...

Amanda,

How wonderful that you are seeing progress. Do not ever feel you have to justify or feel guilty about your decisions regarding vaccinations. You know that you will do what is right for your child, and would never put him in harm's way. We have turned down the regular flu shot in the past, but for some reason elected to allow the H1N1. Its a decision we made and is only our business.

The doctors know not even to ask us any more. We know the schedules and alerts and will do what we feel needs to be done for our kids.

While the majority of childhood vaccinations are absolutely necessary, only you can make that decision. Kudos to you.

~Jon

Trish said...

You can always get the shot later, but you can never take it back. I think it's best to do it only when you have done the research and made the decision.

If you do go forward with vaccinations, I would strongly encourage you to only give one at a time (one vaccine, not one shot with multiple vaccines) so you can decrease the assault on his system and minimize any negative reaction.

And make the decision for each vaccine individually based on the virus or disease it is for - it's not all or nothing!

Glad you are feeling hopeful - I know I always feel that way when I am actively working on the problem (that being my son's symptoms, not my son himself!)